One of the main decisions when graduating college is deciding where you want to live. I know that I’ve had a hard time debating whether I should stay in Charlotte or go begin an adventure in another city. When narrowing my searches of the “other city” I started with what places would be the best for someone seeking a job in public relations. These are the “Top 5” places to live if you are pursuing a job in Public Relations.
- Washington D.C.: First, Washington, D.C is an amazing place to live, especially for people in there twenties. However, for a Public Relations specialist D.C. has the best jobs that also pay the best than the national average. The average mean is $81,000 compared to the national average at $46,000. So, if you love politics and great museums D.C. is the perfect place for you!
- Toronto, Canada: If you love Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling then Toronto is the place for you. Toronto was listed the second best place to live for quality of life. In addition, it is a great place to live for Public Relations because it is home to the leading integrated strategic communications and public affairs firms, Fleishman-Hillard. Toronto is flourishing with opportunity!
- Denver, Colorado: Skiing isn’t the only good thing about Denver, but also it’s great careers in Public Relations. Known as the “Mile High city” it delivers top salaries and also has the second highest concentration of jobs. In addition, it has the highest concentration of Public Relations Specialists as well. If you like the cold and outdoor sports, Denver is the perfect place for you!
- Austin, Texas: Austin is located in central Texas and surrounded by many lakes. It is listed as the best city to live in for the next decade. This city is great for Public Relations Specialist because it offers ample opportunities in social media and has a great salary. However, keep in mind that salary isn’t everything, Austin also has a great nightlife and great food!
- Boston, Massachusetts: Boston is a huge city and home of the Boston Red Socks! It is also great for Public Relations Specialist because it is home to many agencies including Allen and Gerritsen, who was voted the best place to work in 2011 and offers a great internship program. The company also is active in community service.
Overall, you should choose what you want to do and what works best for you! I know that it can be hard to step out of your comfort zone but these are only five places to get your search going. If you’re not ready to take the leap yet, maybe you will be in a few years. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best!
Jade Hudson, Spring 2015 Account Coordinator
Jade Hudson is a senior at UNC Charlotte with a love for social media. She is currently the Public Relations Intern for the non-profit, NC MedAssist. If you would like to connect with her follow her on twitter @Ehudson20 or on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/pub/elizabeth-hudson/83/3a3/455